3.17.2009

For all you Moms out there.........

Ok I am at my wits end and need some advice! Addie has been a pill the last few weeks about taking her naps and I am a little fed up. I am lucky if I get one good nap out of her a day and it is usually first thing in the morning. She used to be such a great napper taking three naps a day, but now she just fights all of them. I feel like I have tried everything, even the dreaded let them "cry it out method", and let me tell you it does not seem to work for her! I have tried to have her cry it out for the last two weeks and she cries for and hour to and hour and a half every time I put her down(and there is only so much of that you can listen to)! These are not just little whines either, she all out screams this entire time and then falls asleep for maybe a 30-45 mins is all! I have read so many books and most of them go back to letting them cry, but what if your baby cries for two weeks straight and it doesn't get better??? They don't seem to ever mention that now do they! Anyways.......I would love to hear some advice or things that have worked for your kids??

7 comments:

Britney said...

oh honey.. I am so sorry. My Lincoln is that way sometimes. Like today. Crying it out works sometimes, but not all the time. Is she sleeping at night? She could be teething again and in pain or have an ear infection. With ear infections it hurts to lay down because of the pressure. But with Lincoln I just stop trying to make him nap. I just let him play instead. She might be growing out of the many nap stage(that is so wonderful, I know) Where she may only take 2 naps a day. All I can suggest is when she fights it, don't fight her. Just let her play or do whatever. Good luck. :)

Brooke said...

I'm a director of a child development center. Our children Addie's age take two naps a day for an hour and a half. The first one starts at 9:30 and the second one is at 1:00. Some of our kids don't nap the first nap offered, which usually becomes the case as they get toward one year old. They are usually down for the count by 12 and sleep around two hours. Which is good because in the 1 year old room they only have one nap at 12 for 2 hours. I would suggest putting her to two naps a day (maybe only one if she really hates it!) What time do you put her down?

Clint, Brielle, Molly and Maggie said...

I bet it is teeth for sure. Molly did that where she went on nap strike for a little while, at Addies age I would bet she is good to go with 2 naps a day and then between 1yr and 18 months she will probably go to one nap. I bet its teeth though, maybe give her tylenol a little before her nap then try to lay her down

Avree said...

I agree with everything said. I'm no expert, I only have 1, but for awhile he had a hard time with naps and I found that if I gave him tylenol about a half hour before his nap-time bottle he did a lot better. After a couple weeks of this he popped through 4 teeth. So that's my advice...drug your baby :)

The Weston's said...

How old is she? My kids all ditched 2 of their 3 naps when they were about 10 months... We are the worst at letting them cry it out- we couldn't ever master that. Warren freaks after 10 mins. Have you read The no Cry Sleep Solution. It has some great stuff- it's a lot of work and you have to be consistant.{ which we suck at} By the third one i have realized that sometimes there really isn't ANYTHING you can do, and they just have phases- but they do come out of it!

Tom and Angie said...

Ya that is difficult. I would recommend teething tablets. They are Homeopathic and my kids love them (Carly ate half a bottle one time) If that is not it, maybe she needs a later naptime, it seems like when they get older they want to play longer. Let me know how it all goes.

Lindsay said...

I bet she only needs 2 naps. Is she happy during the day? Maybe she is sick? teething/ear infection etc. I would let her go longer in between naps so she is exhausted and WANTS to sleep! I just stopped giving Kash a bottle at nap and bed time and sometimes he cries forever too! It is so hard, good luck.